Menu Close

Asotin County Health District is requiring that every Food Service Establishment have at least one Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) on staff, as evidenced by a valid certificate available from an accredited program. 

List of accredited organization that issue certified food protection manager certifications

Please remember that you are responsible for knowing the food codes and regulations. There have been changes as of March 2022. The Washington Retail Food Code Chapter 246-215 can be located at the link below. 

Washington Administrative Code

Helpful Definitions

Food Establishment:  Food establishment means an operation that:
(i) Stores, prepares, packages, serves, and vends food directly to the consumer, or otherwise provides food for human consumption such as a restaurant; satellite or catered feeding location; catering operation if the operation provides food directly to a consumer; or to a conveyance used to transport people; institution; or food bank; and
(ii) Relinquishes possession of food to a consumer directly, or indirectly through a delivery service such as home delivery or grocery orders or restaurant takeout orders, or delivery service that is provided by common carriers.

Food Establishment includes:

(i) An element of the operation such as a transportation vehicle or a central preparation facility that supplies a vending location or satellite feeding location unless the vending or feeding location is permitted by the regulatory authority; and
(ii) An operation that is conducted in a mobile, stationary, temporary, or permanent facility or location; where consumption is on or off the premises; and regardless of whether there is a charge for the food.

​Food Permit: Means the document issued by the REGULATORY AUTHORITY (Asotin County Health District) that authorizes a person to operate a food establishment.

Food Worker Card: a food and beverage service worker’s permit as required under chapter 69.06 RCW This service workers permit is for all people who serve food to the public. Learn more about food worker cards here.

Cottage Food Permit:  ISSUED through the WSDA and is different than a Food Establishment Permit issued by Asotin County Health District.

Asotin County Health District does NOT permit home kitchens. A Cottage Food Permit allows a resident of Washington State to make food that is not potentially hazardous such as baked goods, candies, jams, jellies, preserves, fruit butters, dry spice blends, or dry tea blends in their primary residential kitchen.

There were several changes made to Cottage Food Permits in July 2023. Learn more about applying for a Cottage Food Permit, including application and fees here. 

Contact: General Information: (360) 902-1876
Email: [email protected]
Laws and Rules: 
Chapter 69.22 RCW Cottage Food Operations 
Chapter 16-149 WAC Cottage Foods

Food Permits

Learn more about food permits and temporary food permits.

Donated Food Distribution Organizations (DFDO)

In order to operate as a DFDO, you must have a permit. Among other requirements, you must be registered as a non-profit 501(c) as recognized by the IRS, the food is intended for a needy population and there cannot be a fee for the food. 

Process for Becoming a DFDO or reviewed Free Food Pantry
DFDO Questionnaire

Current Approved Donated Food Distribution Organizations

Food Rescue Rules

Food Rescues, otherwise known as Shared Pantry, do not need a plan review if they contain only exempt foods as described below. For questions or more information about Food Rescues/Shared Pantries please call 509.243.3343